I think this is a fantastic point. Even if average is much less than peak, you can’t ignore peak.
Are people ignorant to have range anxiety? Is concern for peak use unreasonable?
Design News – Captain Hybrid – Is Range Anxiety Real? ”But the implication here seems to be that those who don’t share that vision are myopic or are resisting EVs because they fear change. It’s more likely, though, that those consumers are resisting EVs for a different reason. They don’t buy cars to satisfy their average needs. They buy cars to satisfy their exceptional needs.
‘We think that a very, very small number of people will buy a car for their average use, rather than their exceptional use,” Bill Reinert of Toyota told us in 2011. “Even if you’re covered in 90 percent of the cases, you’re unlikely to buy a car that leaves you uncovered 10 percent of the time.’
Designing for exception, of course, isn’t a new idea. Engineers do it every day. Automotive seating is a prime example. Though the average number of people in a car for any given trip is about 1.4, most consumers prefer to buy vehicles with four or more seats. That doesn’t mean they’re suffering from some kind of phobia that causes them to crave extra chairs. It simply means they’re buying for the exception, not the average.”