Grabbed this new book (True Prep: It’s a Whole New Old World by Lisa Birnbach) after seeing it mentioned a few times. It’s definitely not a serious book. More of a tongue-in-cheek and perhaps slightly sarcastic look at the American prep culture, it’s origins and modernization. The book covers the prep culture and lifestyle with respect to boarding schools, celebs, cars, men’s and women’s fashion, careers, vacations, private clubs, and much more.
Details from Amazon:
# Hardcover: 256 pages
# Publisher: Knopf (September 7, 2010)
# ISBN-10: 0307593983
It’s amusing, and very current. I think Lady Gaga is even mentioned a couple of times. In spite of generally not being a serious book it does contain a large amount of interesting info. Some of the stuff in the book is funny and some sarcastic.
I was amazed at how many past and current celebrities have deep prep-school backgrounds.
A few items from the book:
1. T. Anthony luggage
2. A nice rundown of celebs and notable prep schools. pp 64-68
3. What adult preps eat and drink. chapt. 8
4. A nice limoncello recipe. p. 167
5. Summer and weekend are gerunds. p. 169
6. Thurston Howell III as the idyllic prep. p 201
7. In addition to many many other things, preps love Tervis tumblers, Sperry deck shoes, polar fleece (Synchilla), LL Bean Boots, and Nantucket Reds.
8. The average tuition for a private day or boarding school for 2009/10 is $37,341.60. p. 64
Anyway, while not necessarily being an official guide of textbook, it’s definitely an amusing read, particularly if you’ve ever been part of the prep crowd in any way. Definitely worth picking up, especially being so cheap in hardcover from Amazon. Check out the video from Amazon. Now I’m off to order a set of Tervis tumblers …
Related links & reviews:
Lisa Birnbach’s ‘True Prep’ for Ultra-Modern Times – NYTimes.com
WASP 101: Book Review: True Prep
Ivy Style – Preppy Evangelist: The Lisa Birnbach Interview
A Sequel to ‘The Official Preppy Handbook’ to Be Published – NYTimes.com
Rococo and Caffeine: Book Review: True Prep